Thursday, October 11, 2007

With a cluck cluck here ......

I admit it - we became a VERY red meat family over the summer - how can't you with beautiful weather and a grill? HOWEVER - with the change of seasons, I've found my tastebuds changing too - for something a little lighter and leaner :)

Hannaford (our market) had whole chickens on sale for .69/lb. Now - I'm a bargain shopper - BUT - I would have bought one (or two like I did) even if they weren't on sale this week. BIG birds - 5lbs +. I got two 6 1/2 lb cluckers and roasted one this morning to piece out for food the rest of the week.


Today, I was feeling a little more up to making something and knew there was a feathered friend in the fridge waiting for our oven. The house was filled with an incredible aroma almost immediately. A little olive oil, some fresh rosemary from the garden. I didn't even light my hazelnut coffee candle today - that my friend, is how good it smelled :)

Well .... the girls noticed IMMEDIATLEY that something was cooking - and devoured both legs, thighs and part of a breast. Holy cow, did that make a mommy feel good. I've been sick for the past week, and our meals have consisted of grilled cheese and ramen, ham sandwiches, pancakes, something easy. Tonight, I'm going to take the remaining meat and cook it up with some noodles, carrots, celery and whatever else sounds good with some chicken broth for what Rachel Ray would call a 'stoup' - thicker than soup and thinner than stew.

Yummy Yummy!!! :)

No comments: