Friday, April 27, 2007

Best Parenting Tips

These are on loan thanks to Hearts At Home (www.hearts-at-home.com). I came across their site today - and I'm very glad I did. Check it out Mommy's they have some great resources :).

As I'm facing the start of our summer vacation as Lexi's last week of school is next week, I found this list an encouraging reminder and intend to keep it handy on good days and bad :). I love them all ... but I also highlighted my top ten that I really intend on concentrating on remembering and purposfully praying about this summer.

Best Parenting Tips

· Learn to pick your battles wisely

· Reassure your kids often that they are special and that you love them. Give them specific examples of why they are special, and pray with them everyday.

· Be consistent

· Put your husband FIRST

· Talk calmly when kids get upset. I've found that if I raise my voice and get upset, it gets worse.

· Remember that they're children in a fallen world and I'm a mom in a fallen world. I have had a tendency to expect perfection and be very down on myself if I don't discipline "correctly" in order to have well behaved children. Our youngest has made life interesting and difficult at the same time. It has been a learning experience as I learn to lean on the Lord in this area.

· Be consistent and fair.

· Choose your battles and stay grounded in the Lord.

· Take time for you

· Extend grace whenever you can.

· Find what makes your child laugh hysterically...and do it often!

· Consistency and pick your battles

· Say what you mean, mean what you say, say it with love and be consistent

· Love them, love them, love them

· If everything is done out of love and honesty - you can't go wrong!

· Be home as much as possible and play, play, play with your kids

· Five years from now, is it really going to matter?

· Just LOVE Them!

· Laugh a lot, don't be too serious, give lots of hugs and kisses. They're only young for a little while.

· Listen to them and love them unconditionally.

· They are capable of more than you expect

· Make God a priority in your life, pray daily; don't be too proud to ask for forgiveness when you've made a mistake.

· BREATHE!!! If you're too angry, take a time out, breathe, and really THINK before making a rash decision

· No two children are alike and nothing is forever. Do the best you can in the moment.

· Pray specifically for your child

· They are just on loan to us from the Lord

· Follow through

· Do a lot of praying and keep your sense of humor. And enjoy every stage your children go through.

· Go with the flow. Sometimes you should go with that gut feeling. And the kids are likely up to something if you house is quiet!!

· Don’t try to be super mom, she doesn’t exist. Do the best you can and they will turn out fine.

· Enjoy each moment- they go by too fast.

· Don't back down, Stick to your guns

· Pray for strength and wisdom!

· Pray first, then act!

· Remember to have fun!

· "Remember" why (as a sahm) you are home. Spend time with your kids, don't just be in the house with them.

· Be consistent. Figure out what you expect and be sure to let your children know what is expected.

· Have patience

· This too shall pass

· Be consistent - hug often

· Pick your battles!

· Give 'em hugs all the time!

· Bring your kids up to know the Lord--it's the most important thing we can give them!

· Never forget to say I love you.

· Remember who the parent is!

· Be informed, read books, take classes, talk to veteran moms

· You don't always have to like them but always love them!

· Pray with and for your children and your sanity. Also, laugh with your children as much as possible.

· Discipline and affection make a happy home!

· Be consistent even when you are too tired

· Choose your battles.

· Love them unconditionally with tough love mixed in

· PRAY!

· Relax and enjoy your kids.

"Copyright Hearts at Home 2006, used with permission. For more information about Hearts at Home: 1-309-888-MOMS or www.hearts-at-home.org."

No comments: