Thursday, November 09, 2006

Rain Rain Go Away

I can't believe it's Thursday already. Our week has been a tad rumpled in regards to our 'routine'. We had Jason home Tuesday morning. We thought our polling place opened at eight - SURPRISE, it opens at NINE. Goodness gracious, don't they want people who work to vote!? I miss the days in Minneapolis when our polling place opened at SIX A.M. Oh well, it was fun having him home. Our plan was to play tag team - I stay with the girls while he votes and vice versa. I don't think people would appreciate Lexi trying to find out what's behind curtain #1 !

The rest of my day Tuesday was spent calling local shelters trying to find a place that will take Gentle (see the post below about Gentle). NO ONE within a thirty mile radius was able to take her, with one exception, our local shelter, which I was informed by a private one, is a 'kill' shelter that euthanizes strays after a week. Come on, I know they have lots and lots of strays, but goodness. Honestly, I think they would be better off if they were just left alone if that's the only offer.

HOWEVER, after emailing a few of our favorite shelters on the coast, I was able to find one that would take her - THANK YOU ARK of Cherryfield!!! Their stray isolation room is full, but if we can keep track of Gentle, we will be able to bring her in next Wednesday. She will be in isolution for some time, as bloodwork is done and later, spayed (or neutered, because we're not sure if it's a he or she) - and THEN, placed on their adoption list.

The Ark Home Page - click here
The Ark - Cat Page - click here
A peak at their kitty facilities - click here

The Ark has a pretty unique set up. The cats are not confined to cages (unless they are receiving medical treatment). The building is set up like a home, where each cat is assigned a 'dorm' area depending on their temperament, age, etc, enabling them to exist as they would in a normal home setting (with the exception of a few more buddies than they would normally have). It's a great set-up and we are SO pleased! They have a great adoption rate too. They are pleased to have her too. She's not your basic house cat (photo in the post below) and they feel she would be adopted quickly. YEAH!!!

Now, if we can just keep track of her. She continues to visit three times a day to eat and visit Pecan in the window. HOWEVER, it has been raining non-stop the past two days, and her length of stay in our yard has been quite short. I'm HAPPY to say however, that she made an appearance this morning. She was gone before I could great her. She made her way to the grassy field across our street and hung out there for an hour. I think she was trying to dry out. I noticed though, that she is again off to do whatever it is she does during the day. I was worried, because we hadn't seen her personally two nights in a row. We knew she was out there, because of Pecan, but I wanted to make sure she was OK. it was nice to see her hanging out this morning. On my way out to the mailbox, she saw me across the road, and meowed back when I talked to her, and seemed OK with the fact that I was 'in' and she was 'out'. I can't help but glance over my shoulder from time to time and out the window to see if she's out there.

Please continue to say a little prayer for her safety until we can get her in to the shelter next week. Thanks for all your emails and support regarding our little friend!!

WHEW - that covered Tuesday and this morning. Yesterday, Lexi had school. Cate and I visited the rec center in Bangor for a little play time. We got there early enough to have some space to ourselves before the big kids came to play. We dropped things off at the Goodwill. Man it feels good to clean out drawers and closets. We had lunch with Lexi at school, and then jetted off for a hair appointment for Lexi. They cut her hair into a pretty short bob - to try to compensate around the area Lexi 'styled' herself. The area around her ears are starting to blend in and they should be level at her next hair cut. We came home to play a bit, and then off to pick up daddy at work, and then a quick trip to the grocery. We ended our night with the fall 'finale' of Lost. Hmmmmm .... what are we going to do Wednesday nights until Feb?

OK - I've 'bent your ear' long enough as my mom would say :). That's what happens when you get behind!

ta-ta

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about that cute fur ball of love. Is there anyway you could keep her? How much does it cost around here for a yearly vet exam etc. I'm a sucker for strays. Hugs, Heather