Friday, August 22, 2008

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU


My appreciation is directed toward Miss Cate - who has completely knocked my socks off this week. Why? She has mastered Potty Training and has embraced it completely.

Early this summer and once during the spring, I had attempted to start the ever challenging process of potty training with Cate. She showed absolutely NO interest and as much as she liked stickers and panties and flushing the toilet, she really could have cared less after about two days. So - I let it go. We had visitors this summer - a new puppy - construction construction construction so I decided to give the summer a rest and revisit it later.

That 'later' was this week. I have to be honest, I was scared. Although Lexi came through the potty training boot camp pretty easily, we did have some run-ins and I wasn't looking forward to re-visiting all the 'possibilities'. I also had the fact that Cate was starting preschool this September, and even though the welcomed little ones who weren't quite using the potty completely, I didn't want to have to deal with bringing pull-ups to school, creating any doubt in her mind as to why she was getting her pants changed and others using the potty - AND - the fact that it's much easier to potty train in the summer than fall and winter when there are many more layers involved - yes, I had given much thought to the whole process.

SO - Monday, we went cold turkey - put the pull-ups away (except at nighttime, although when they run out, they'll be gone) and pulled out the panties, and went for it. Cate spent her first day sans pants or shorts or even dress - we had three accidents (peepee only - sorry) and moved on. The next morning, dry pants - on the potty - panties on - and not a single accident and she actually experienced her first 'poo' on the potty - sorry for the details, but to a Mommy, they deserve praise :). That night - I heard some talking from the girls room - and thought someone was up. As I entered the room, I realized it was Cate talking in her sleep, "I go potty, I go potty on the toilet" - poor girl she was living the pressure 24 hours. The next morning, dry pants - panties - capris AND a trip to the store sans pull up - NO ACCIDENTS. Today is Friday, she is helping herself on the potty - washing her hands - 'all by myself' as she likes to say. Not a single accident - day or night.

What did I do to deserve this!?!?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU CATE!!

Well done!!!
(applause please!)

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Mercy. Where was Cate when we needed a pep talk from a peer for Henry? ;) I am VERY HAPPY for you -- you know I mean it, too, especially since our potty-training escapades lasted over 5 months!!!! And that's even waiting until right before he turned three, thinking that the older he would be the better. Yipes!