When I was growing up in Minnesota, I remember the 'old timers' always talking the "January Thaw". I came to understand that there was usually a 'fluke' in the weather pattern sometime during the month that caused unusually high temperatures. Well ... yesterday, Maine experienced their 'January Thaw'. HOORAY!!!
Weather Underground indicated that temps reached 62 degrees in Lee, where our weather data is collected (even though Lee is a good 25 miles north of us - lol) - That was in the sun - when the sun was beneath the clouds, the temps fell to a balmy 58 degrees. If the sun hadn't been out majority of the day, I would have sworn it were raining, because the snow was melting and causing constant drips from EVERYTHING.
After lunch, the girls and I headed outside. We weren't thirty seconds - I'M SERIOUS - when I took my eye off Cate for less than those 30 seconds to find the shovel - when she proceeded to find THE biggest and wettest and ICIEST puddle to jump in - only to be surprised that that puddle also had a significant ice layer beneath the water - and yep - you guessed it - she landed in it - first on her bum, and then her back as she made a very good impression of the 'flume' at Vallyfair. She slid at least five feet - SERIOUSLY - we're talking a BIG puddle - before she came to a stop. Stunned, drenched and then VERY vocal as she proceeded to let the whole town know she was not happy.
Speaking of 'not happy', Lexi was not the least bit pleased to learn that we had to turn back inside to change Miss Cate from head to tow - and down to the core. Lexi then proceeded to let the whole town know she was not happy.
It was lovely - and I'm not talking about the weather either.
HOWEVER, the weather WAS lovely, AFTER I searched the house for another pair of boots for Cate. We headed outside and spent about two hours negotiating between the puddles, slush and snow piles. The girls got some MUCH needed fresh air!!!!
While the girls played, I shoveled our driveway - and pushed all the remaining ice and slush that was melting to the sides. The piles of snow and ice that had not yet melted were creating a system of dams and was causing the water to pool badly. I knew if that wasn't corrected, we would have an ice rink in the morning. We have a BIG driveway!!!! :)
This morning, the fog is rolling steadily across the foot of snow that remains in the yard. The moisture continues to drip from EVERYTHING. Our well that was once nearly covered now stands tall once again, and when I went out for the mail, I noticed that my crocuses were poking up along the house - YIKES - I love the thaw - but not so fast!! Because another thing I learned growing up in Minnesota, is that the 'January Thaw' is usually followed by months of 'normal' winter weather patterns including wind, snow, and cold temps. Regardless of what is ahead of us in the coming months, this thaw is a beautiful reminder of what we will welcome this spring!!!



No comments:
Post a Comment