For all you 'non-Scandinavian' friends who have NO idea what that photo above is ... I'm so sorry!!!!My mom sent a true Christmas care package with LEFSE. Yep - lefse:
"Norwegian flatbread" (shhhh - don't tell the Swede's the Norwegians got credit for it on Wikipedia!) "made out of potato, milk or cream and flour, and cooked on a griddle. Special tools are available for lefse baking, including long wooden turning sticks and special rolling pins with deep grooves. There are significant regional variations in the way lefse is made and eaten, but it generally resembles a flatbread, although in many parts of Norway, especially Valdres, it is far thinner. In some parts of the United States (such as North Dakota, Minnesota, South Dakota, northern and central Iowa, Wisconsin, and Washington), lefse is available in grocery stores; one Minnesota tortilla factory makes a run of lefse once a month on its tortilla equipment.
In central Norway, a variation called tynnlefse (thin lefse) is made, which is rolled up with butter, sugar and cinnamon (or with butter and brown sugar), and eaten as a cake. " Wikipedai
The girls and I enjoyed some tynnlefse this morning!! :) Thanks Mom!!!!
This is how seriously Minnesotans take their lefse:
"Norwegian flatbread" (shhhh - don't tell the Swede's the Norwegians got credit for it on Wikipedia!) "made out of potato, milk or cream and flour, and cooked on a griddle. Special tools are available for lefse baking, including long wooden turning sticks and special rolling pins with deep grooves. There are significant regional variations in the way lefse is made and eaten, but it generally resembles a flatbread, although in many parts of Norway, especially Valdres, it is far thinner. In some parts of the United States (such as North Dakota, Minnesota, South Dakota, northern and central Iowa, Wisconsin, and Washington), lefse is available in grocery stores; one Minnesota tortilla factory makes a run of lefse once a month on its tortilla equipment.
In central Norway, a variation called tynnlefse (thin lefse) is made, which is rolled up with butter, sugar and cinnamon (or with butter and brown sugar), and eaten as a cake. " Wikipedai
The girls and I enjoyed some tynnlefse this morning!! :) Thanks Mom!!!!
This is how seriously Minnesotans take their lefse:
Now .... if she could just ship some lutefisk - YES - I'm SERIOUS!!!!! You can take the girl out of Minnesota - but you can't take the Minnesota out of the girl!!! :)
"I do not know. Of all food, lutefisk is the only one that I don't take any stand on. I simply cannot decide whether it is nice or disgusting, if the taste is interesting or commonplace. The only thing I know, is that I like bacon, mustard and lefse. Lutefisk is an example of food that almost doesn't taste anything, but is so full of emotions that the taste buds get knocked out." Jeffrey Steingarten
God Jul!




1 comment:
Okay, so I did survive two winters in Minnesota, but I guess you can't take the Oklahoma out of the girl either, because I sure as heck thought that was a big ole' stack of tortillas....:)
Post a Comment