Thursday, October 18, 2007

Really ... we're still here!

My goodness - fall starts, we get into a routine again, we approach birthdays and fall festivities, and I lose track of the days, and before you know it, it's been a week since I last post.... and I must say, much longer since I posted something with substance about us :)

What's been keeping us so busy? Life I guess you could say :)

Lexi is back in school full force. It's amazing to see the role she has taken as one of the 'older kids' in their class. The Preschool at the University is a class made up of a combination of ages from age three to age five. Lexi has been attending since she was three and has gone through all stages of preschool goodness. Let's just say, there was a lot of learning going on ... not just by Lexi, but by the teachers and us as well as we learned about her learning styles, social connectivity and emotional growth. It has been a great two and a half years at CSC so far - and we love the staff and love the program and the connection they have made with Lexi. And above all .. the connection Lexi has made with them. She loves school - loves her teachers and the staff. And like I mentioned above, she has taken them on full force this year. Preschool has become more than the fun place with great toys - she is loving her French lessons, her academics, and most of all, eating lunch with the staff and talking with them verses gulping down one bite and hitting the playground hard. Most afternoons when I stop in to pick her up, Cate and I will find her still eating with one of the incredibly patient staff members, talking about her kitties or the latest episode of Diego she's seen. From there, she'll make the rounds to all the infant siblings of her classmates to say a 'hello' and make a silly face - and get this ... SHE will take my hand and say good-bye to everyone and walk out the door on HER OWN TWO FEET. I seriously never thought I would see the day :) She is captivated by the sign language chart in their coat room - and insists on learning a new sign with me each afternoon. She, Cate and I will head out the door - and head to the car - where I purposefully select the parking spot furthest from the door - to allow us to scale the parking barriers like a balance beam - we're all getting quite good at it! :)

Miss Cate has been keeping me busy. She has gotten used to the fact that Lexi is in school M-W-F. We have been taking Lexi to school in the morning, and Cate and I will try to find things to do around Bangor for a little Mommy and Cate time. Like Lexi, her favorite it to visit Bagel Central and Fairmont Park. She and Lexi have very different personalities, but hers is begining to make a statement more and more each week. Her vocabulary has really taken off - and yesterday, for THE VERY FIRST TIME, the word M-I-N-E came out of her mouth. I was wondering how long it would take - and I have to admit, she went longer then I thought she would before saying it - especially when she hears it from Lexi numerous times during the day!! She loves her books, and SHOES - she is in her glory when we walk down the shoe aisles in Target - SERIOUSLY!!!!! She loves her Daddy more than words can say - and loves to walk back to our coats on the hour to remind me they are there and she would like to go outside. One thing we have really enjoyed doing with Cate lately, is reading books together as a family in Lexi's bed before the girls go to sleep. Cate really really really wants to sleep in Lexi's bed or our bed :) - she's a trooper however, and really truly understands where her bed is - and after a bit of coaxing, settles in her crib in our room for the night. Little does she know, that we are getting the toddler bed ready to put in Lexi's room VERY SOON - as in perhaps this weekend soon!! OH MY GOODNESS - I can't remember the last time Jay and I have had a room to ourselves! Not that we're complaining - hardly - both girls have benefited in their own ways from sharing space with us - but we are looking forward to hanging out in our room - reading - watching a movie - whatever - without worrying about waking Cate up :) . I think we'll be as excited as Cate when she makes that big leap to moving in with Lexi!!!

Finally - Cate has been a salve to my soul. With all the changes to our lives over the past four years, along came Cate with all her silly self, and has taught me to calm down, take a moment and love - not just live. Lexi is my pal - there's a piece of me only she has seen as a first time mommy. We have learned and shared together more than I could ever have imagined. Each girl holds a special place in my heart each in their own ways. I'm a blessed Mommy - beyond words.


No comments: