Saturday, August 04, 2007

Oh Where, Oh Where Has Our Big Orange Cat Gone?!!?

At about 3 this afternoon, it dawned on me, that I hadn't seen Meuw anywhere. Which is not typical. I then noticed, that she hadn't touched her dish either ..... however, Jay or Lexi could have filled it. I asked Jay if he'd seen her, but he added that he hasn't seen her all day. It's highly unlikely that she slid by our feet outside, because she's not exactly graceful. We were outside all afternoon and on the off chance she did get out, her threshold of being outside usually maxes out at about 15 minutes. She never leaves the yard - and usually hides under the porch if she does make it past us. BUT - Meuw isn't one to hide all day long .... and she isn't one to miss the 5 o'clock sunshine in our front windows. It's 8:15 - and the sun has gone down .... she missed her afternoon sunbathe .... not like her at all.

We've looked EVERYWHERE, and I feel sick. We looked upstairs and in the basement - in boxes, under boxes, under shelves, I even looked in the cupboards on the odd chance she snook in .... which is highly unlikely, because Meuwie is NOT a petite little girl ... hardly. She is however, my first baby - and I am incredibly worried.

Meuw Meuw Meuw .... where's my best friend at!?........

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

We found Meuw!! After sitting outside for about two hours calling for her and searching with flashlights, I jumped in the car to drive around the area ... thinking perhaps she got chased out or something ... and came back to find Jay across the road on the path down to the river. He swore he saw Meuw .... she has a body composition that isn't easy to mistake :) ... so, I ran inside and got her food dish and shook it and low and behold, up popped her head from the bushes. She ran as fast as she could across the street and up to the porch.

Here's what we thought happened .... tonight, after giving the girls a bath, I was sitting with Lexi in her room. Earlier today, when we were outside, Lexi had said, "Meuwie is building a rocket ship and is going to the moon." and "Meuwie is going to MeuwieLand." hmmmmm . ok ..... she has a wild imagination anyways. So tonight, I asked her to tell me seriously if she new anything about Meuw getting out, and she said, "she got out when we were getting ready to go outside." If so ... Meuw has been outside since about 10 this morning.

Jay and I think she hung around the yard - and house. They left for the soccer field right away - and if no one was around to let her in, I can assume she went 'exploring'. Tonight, when Jay was walking around looking for her, he walked over to our neighbors when a dog started to growl at him. Our neighbor doesn't have a dog. It turns out a dog of a neighbor down and across the road got loose, because as it approached Jay, its owner came running looking for it. We think, that it cought on to Meuwie's scent and Meuw ran across the road and into the field down by the river to get away from it earlier, because when Jay came across the dog, it was fast on somethings trail.

SO - Meuw is home .... SLEEPING in the window. Poor Pecan has been moping around all evening. She even went 'meowing' around in each room before we put the girls to bed and Pecan isn't one to meow. We knew something was up when Pecan went down into the laundry room window. She only goes there when she wants to watch for something .... usually other cats. THEN - right before Jay encountered the dog, Pecan went up into the kitchen window, almost like she knew the area Meuwie was in. Jay was thinking that perhaps if we let Pecan out, she would lour Meuw home or find her ... but I'm glad we didn't end up with two kitties outside.

I'm so glad we found her. I visions of Meuw hurt, or scared or lost. She's not the most social of cats, in that she will not approach other people, but will hide if she's unfamiliar with something or someone. I'm so glad she's back.

HOORAY!!!!

No comments: