This had been an incredibly busy week. Lexi has had Vacation Bible Camp all week. We love our church -and the programs they offer - it's just been hard (only for me mind you) to get her in to Bangor at 9 every morning this week. NOW - the very instant I think, "oh man" in the morning, I'm instantly reminded of the fun and great opportunity Lexi will have all week with the great staff at church and the over 160 kids who are participating this summer too.
I have to say, honestly, Lexi has matured a little more this week. In a very interesting way. I'm seeing the effect that sound Christian curriculum, Christian 'teachers' or staff, and other kids, many of whom come from Christian homes, has had on Lexi. It's hard to put into words. Now mind you, these kids aren't sitting quietly in their chairs for four hours memorizing Bible verses and singing hymns :). These kids are LEARNING - even the preschoolers are taking away a LOT - AND these kids are praising God during incredible worship they have provided over the week.
I questioned initially if Lexi was ready for a week of Camp every day, all morning. Boy was I wrong. The question should be, am I ready to take off where they started ... to provided an environment that constantly portrays the love of God. Am I prepared to mindfully make God part of our everyday lives - every day?! :), and not only when it's convenient - ie, night time prayers, mealtime, occasional story or Veggie Tale video!? It's easy as a mom to get caught in the day to day structure of 'things'. How do I fit everything in?! Seeing Lexi this week though, makes me want to figure out how. Yes, Lexi has been bombarded with fun - bright lights - and extreme camp experiences. But, it's also the little things that make an impact as well. How much of our 'regular' days do I provide even the little things that help us be mindful of God's love in our lives? That's a sobering thought.
I had a summer full of good intension's. I didn't quite tackle them all. One of my biggest goals was to work with Lexi academically. Now that we're into August, I've seen that it's not the time that I take with her academics that she will benefit from at this point in her life, but rather one that patterns one of unconditional love. Believe me ... the unconditional love part is here in our home ... but I think I'm going to stop trying to help my little four year old to strive academically this summer , and continue concentrate on giving her full, loving, unconditional surroundings to help her develop a firm base to build her life on. To me, it seems that comes by living a life of example and one that concentrates on the love of the Lord and his love for us as a family and individuals. Does that make sense!?
Who is the one that went to Bible camp this week!? Lexi is walking away on the last day tomorrow with a wealth of new understanding, and so am I. :)
I have to say, honestly, Lexi has matured a little more this week. In a very interesting way. I'm seeing the effect that sound Christian curriculum, Christian 'teachers' or staff, and other kids, many of whom come from Christian homes, has had on Lexi. It's hard to put into words. Now mind you, these kids aren't sitting quietly in their chairs for four hours memorizing Bible verses and singing hymns :). These kids are LEARNING - even the preschoolers are taking away a LOT - AND these kids are praising God during incredible worship they have provided over the week.
I questioned initially if Lexi was ready for a week of Camp every day, all morning. Boy was I wrong. The question should be, am I ready to take off where they started ... to provided an environment that constantly portrays the love of God. Am I prepared to mindfully make God part of our everyday lives - every day?! :), and not only when it's convenient - ie, night time prayers, mealtime, occasional story or Veggie Tale video!? It's easy as a mom to get caught in the day to day structure of 'things'. How do I fit everything in?! Seeing Lexi this week though, makes me want to figure out how. Yes, Lexi has been bombarded with fun - bright lights - and extreme camp experiences. But, it's also the little things that make an impact as well. How much of our 'regular' days do I provide even the little things that help us be mindful of God's love in our lives? That's a sobering thought.
I had a summer full of good intension's. I didn't quite tackle them all. One of my biggest goals was to work with Lexi academically. Now that we're into August, I've seen that it's not the time that I take with her academics that she will benefit from at this point in her life, but rather one that patterns one of unconditional love. Believe me ... the unconditional love part is here in our home ... but I think I'm going to stop trying to help my little four year old to strive academically this summer , and continue concentrate on giving her full, loving, unconditional surroundings to help her develop a firm base to build her life on. To me, it seems that comes by living a life of example and one that concentrates on the love of the Lord and his love for us as a family and individuals. Does that make sense!?
Who is the one that went to Bible camp this week!? Lexi is walking away on the last day tomorrow with a wealth of new understanding, and so am I. :)



No comments:
Post a Comment