Monday, May 14, 2007

The Message Bible

I'm loving the Mother's Day present I got from my mom and dad. In the mail on Friday, I found a package addressed to me ... with a shiny new Bible inside .. a Message Bible. I actually had asked my mom, who works for a Christian publishing and book store to check on one for me not too long ago. It was a sweet surprise to open it this weekend!

I've been using my NIV since Bethel (I graduated from Bethel College in St. Paul, Minnesota - now Bethel University). It has been marked and marked and marked again with notes and thoughts. It's precious to me. But what I've been craving lately, is something a little more straightforward and personal. Not that I can't make my Bible personal - lol - but after reading a few blogs who had quoted from it, I really wanted one at this stage. I love it. Here's how Wikipedia defines it:

The Message, written by Eugene H. Peterson and first published in 1993, is a paraphrase of the original languages of the Holy Bible and "crafted to present its tone, rhythm, events, and ideas in everyday language."
Again, I want to stress that it's not a 'dumbed down' version of the Bible :) - to say the least. But when you're short on time, and craving to sit down with the Word, it's such a joy to read in this context.

I'm reading it along with my book Queen Mom by Brenda Garrsion - and I'm so pleased to have something to sink my teeth into again. Much like my NIV, my new Bible is being marked, and marked and marked again. It's funny how I often go back to my NIV and read my notes. Most are 10 years old or older :) - but I can still remember exactly where I was when I wrote them, and the stage of my life I was in. I'm looking forward to pick up my new Bible in ten years and do the same :).


Thanks Mom and Dad!

No comments: